Everyone would be so much happier if we could all just wear sweatpants. All the time. Or clothes that feel like you’re wearing sweatpants/pajamas, YOUKNOW? Sigh, Tuesdays-that-feel-like-Mondays. Especially Tuesdays after Thanksgiving (all that pumpkin pie, amirite!) Happy belated Thanksgiving, my lovely Canadians.
One of my favourite breakfast combinations is smashed avocado on toast topped with cheese, salsa, and an over easy egg. Truthfully, I probably eat this for dinner (#singlegirldinner) more often than I eat it for breakfast; I’D RATHER GET THE EXTRA 15 MINUTES OF SLEEP, OKAY!?! Seriously though, I’m usually in such a rush every morning that I’d much rather have breakfast for dinner. I like to call it, “enjoying my meal rather than inhaling it as I run out the door.”
What you need (serves 1):
- 1 or 2 slices of toast
- 1 or 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- Cheese. However much you like, go nuts.
- 1-2 tbsp salsa
- Optional: chili flakes, sriracha, or tabasco sauce for a spicy kick
1. Slice your avocado in half, scoop into a bowl and mash. Feel free to add onions, garlic, lime juice, or anything that you’d usually throw into guacamole.
2. Toast your bread.
3. While your bread is toasting, cook your egg(s). If you prefer your eggs scrambled rather than over easy, then do what makes you happy. This is your breakfast/dinner, not mine.
4. Spread avocado on toast, sprinkle with some cheese (OR if you’re extra fancy, put your bread in a toaster oven & broil the cheese on top), then top with your egg.
5. Garnish with some salsa, sriracha, chili flakes, or tabasco sauce. Serve with a side of fruit and yogurt… Or a side of bacon :)
Breakfast. It’s what’s for dinner.
Warm September nights of weeks past called for simple, light, and refreshing dinners… I just couldn’t handle standing over a hot stove in the lingering summer heat! This salad was such an easy throw-together-meal (and nutrient packed with the baby kale, spinach, and hemp seeds) that I had to share… and who doesn’t like white peaches?!
What you need (serves 1):
For the salad:
- A few handfuls of baby kale & spinach, or whatever greens you have in your fridge.
- 1 grilled or boiled chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 2-3 tbsp slivered almonds + whatever nuts/seeds you prefer. I had some pumpkin & sunflower seeds so I sprinkled those in there too for added protein.
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 white peach, sliced into wedges. A pear would also work when peaches are no longer in season.
For the dressing:
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey ginger balsamic vinegar**
1. Throw greens into a medium sized bowl.
2. Put the oil + vinegar into a small jar, cover with a lid, and shake shake shake (or whisk whisk whisk in a bowl) until the mixture looks uniform.
3. Pour vinaigrette over your greens. Toss.
4. Add the chicken, almonds, and seeds. Toss.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl/dish & garnish with the white peach.
Et voila! In true #singlegirldinner style, I had mine with a glass of chilled white wine :)
** (I buy my flavoured olive oils & balsamic vinegars from this fantastic store in Edmonton called EVOOlution. Their staff is incredibly knowledgeable, and they carry such an extensive variety of oils & vinegars with note cards that have suggested pairings, I honestly just want to buy the entire store. It’s dangerous.)
A preview from my trip to San Pedro, Belize: